Welcome to Dumbledore's Army (or dumbledoresarmy)! Dumbledore's Army is a Harry Potter community based on three trials of selection. This community is more than a sorting community; it really delves into your "Harry Potter persona." This group is somewhat more selective than the other sorting communities, so be aware when the selection process is occurring. You must be patient when applying, because there are three separate stages to becoming a member, each of which should be completed and critiqued separately. We are looking for a group which consists of diversity, personality, and commitment. Being inducted into Dumbledore's Army, again, takes three trials - the Sorting Ceremony, the Magical Branch Placement, and the Interview. Also, it is advised that you read the rules before doing the first application (hint, hint).
Keep in mind that this project is fairly new and has a lot of development to catch up on. So, to help in the publicity stages, we have made Incantatum an affiliate. Feel free to browse the website (which is also a new project).
We are on a brief hiatus from any sorting ceremonies at the moment. Please check back late September or so. We will NOT be holding any applications for anyone until then - they must be submitted when we cut off the hiatus. Thank you for your interest in Dumbledore's Army.
gryffindor_da Gryffindor House
hufflepuff_da Hufflepuff House
ravenclaw_da Ravenclaw House
slytherin_da Slytherin House
THE BRANCHES of DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY:
c_da Charms Branch
comc_da Care of Magical Creatures Branch
dada_da Defense Against the Dark Arts Branch
p_da Potions Branch
t_da Transfiguration Branch
ror_da The Room of Requirement (Closed)
LEADER of DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY:
HEADS of HOUSE:
HEADS of BRANCH:
Care of Magical Creatures: NONE - APPLICATIONS OPEN
Charms: NONE - APPLICATIONS OPEN
Defense Against the Dark Arts: xtangledechox
Potions: NONE - APPLICATIONS OPEN
Transfiguration: NONE - APPLICATIONS OPEN
Whenever you are posting in any of the houses, branches (you may only post in your house and branch), or in the Room of Requirement, you MUST do it under "Friend's Only."
Any breaking of these rules will result in... something bad. DUN! DUN! DUN!
But seriously, it could result in banning.
Respect everyone in the community.
Be serious about all of your applications.
Make sure you have everything that there is to include in your application. If something is missing, it will be ignored and not posted.
You may only vote on the types of applications that you have done (i.e., if you have been sorted, then you may vote on Sorting Applications).
If you are not able to contribute to this community, do not bother applying. It would just be a waste of time for the people who are contributing.
There were no Slytherins in Dumbledore's Army, as most of them were instead in the Inquisatorial Squad. This community will stray from that idea. Instead, anyone from any house may be in Dumbledore's Army.
Please don't type like you don't know how to do it properly.
Age doesn't matter, as long as you show maturity.
For Dumbledore's Army members, you may post in the community after you've been announced as an official member (that means being on the "D.A. Members List" and having completed ALL three tasks), but no posts that do not mean anything. For example, you may post Harry Potter news, but you may not post a rant about your social life.
You may not promote any other communities in this community.
For Dumbledore's Army members, when you vote on applications, for Sorting, you may choose one of the following: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, or No Vote (this could mean that the person does not deserve to be in this community or you just didn't know where to put them - either way, provide a reason - if someone receives more of these votes, then their application is nulled and they will be able re-apply). When voting for Magical Placement, you must choose one of the following: Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Potions, Care of Magical Creatures, or No Vote (rules for No Vote still apply for the second trial). The Interview will not be scored by the members, only the group leader. Members must vote (you receive house points for each vote)! As well, points can be deducted for any votes not taking place.
Please do not cheat the application(s). It is usually obvious when you do, so just don't do it. If you do, you will receive a "No Vote."
For Dumbledore's Army members, at the end of each vote please sign this way: "[Name] of [House]. Member of [name of Magical Branch].
For Dumbledore's Army members, on the subject line of each vote, please provide which house or magical branch you've decided on. If it is hard to find your vote, it will not be counted.
We do NOT do stereotypes here. All houses are EQUAL. If you are going to try to get one house without being yourself, please do not bother applying. As well, if you get a house you "did not want" and decide to be sour about it, you will, without question, be banned. No house prejudices.
You must have a journal thast has been used for at least 30 days. It's to verify that you will not suddenly "disappear" on the D.A.
To be sure that you read the rules, please read the "House Characteristics" (toward the bottom) - THIS WILL TELL YOU WHAT TO PUT IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR APPLICATION.
The Sorting Ceremony will take place on every interval of ten of the month (i.e., March 10th, March 20th, March 30th), but applications are welcome on any day. Keep in mind though that if you submit your application only two or three days before the 10th, 20th, or 30th, it will not be counted until the Sorting Ceremony after the next ten interval. You will not find out which house you belong to until the following interval of ten of that month. Current members will be the ones to select which house you would be best suited for. All of the current members' comments will be screened, so the chosen house will remain completely private until the Sorting Ceremony date, which means that someone (such as the moderator) will have to re-post the application under their livejournal name (but with recognition to your livejournal name as well). This also helps for people not to quit in the middle of the voting process.
As far as the application goes, elaborate. It is a guaranteed way to be sorted into a house. If you are not sorted, then the whole application would have been a big waste. If you are indeed not sorted, then you may re-apply (with a better and more clear application - if it hasn't progressed, then the post will be rejected).
In the lj-cut, please keep it as "THE SORTING HAT APPLICATION." Keep the questions bolded as well. Thanks.
THE SORTING HAT APPLICATION
01. What is your name? If you could be named anything else, what would you be named?
02. What is your e-mail address? (This is essential so that we can contact you for the interview.)
03. How old are you?
04. Explain your livejournal username.
05. If you could ban one thing in the Wizarding World, what would it be? It could be anything.
06. If you could choose one person to be stuck in a room with, who would it be and why have you chosen that person?
07. What do you think of when you hear the word "Dumbledore"?
08. Out of the entire Harry Potter book series, which one is your favorite and why?
09. Which character do you feel you are similar to?
10. What shape would your corporeal patronus take? Why do you feel this is the shape that best defines you?
11. If you were to face Voldemort, what would you do?
12. If you found a brand new Remembrall on the ground, what would you do with it?
13. What would you see if you were to face a boggart?
14. If you were given an invisibility cloak for one full night, what would you do with it?
15. If you had the chance to change one thing about Hogwarts, what would it be?
16. If you could name the most prominent characteristic that you feel shows who you are, which characteristic would it be? (Name only one and give an explanation.)
17. Explain, in order of best fitting, why you should be placed AND not placed in each of the four houses.
18. What is your favorite thing about Hogwarts?
19. What is your definition of a zatyzactahloch? (Hint: It is not in the dictionary.)
20. Here is a scenario where you must provide what you would do: "Tonight is the very last night that you would be able to see a certain band that is on tour. You have had plans to attend this concert for two months. You were even offered backstage passes to meet the band - something you have always wanted. A half hour before you are to leave for the concert, a friend who you never really communicate with calls you and the person says that they are in trouble. Unfortunately, they are on the other side of town, the complete opposite direction from where the band is performing. Again, this person is not one of your best friends but they desperately need your help because everyone else bailed out on him/her and you're the person's last hope. Your friend is in a situation where their life could change forever for the worse (and, of course, they don't want it to). As well, you promised your best friend that you would pick him/her up for the concert, because you two had planned to go together. What would you do? BE HONEST.
21. Why apply here, considering all of the other Harry Potter stamping communities?
22. How did you hear about this community (if someone referred you, please provide the username)?
23. And finally... Do you agree with all terms and conditions (i.e., all of the rules and all of the user info.)?
Once you've been sorted, you may proceed to the next trial, the Magical Branch Placement.
The application process for the Magical Branch is the same kind of process as the Sorting Application. The Magical Branch Placement will take place on every interval ending in five of the month (i.e., March 5th, March 15th, March 25th), but applications are welcome on any day. Keep in mind though that if you submit your application only two or three days before the 5th, 15th, or 25th, it will not be counted until the Sorting Ceremony after the next ending-in-five interval. You will not find out which branch you belong to until the following interval of ending-in-five of that month. Current members will be the ones to select which branch you would be best suited for. All of the current members' comments will be screened, so the chosen branch will remain completely private until the Magical Branch Placement announcement date, which means that someone (such as the moderator) will have to re-post the application under their livejournal name (but with recognition to your livejournal name as well). This also helps for people not to quit in the middle of the voting process.
In the lj-cut, please keep it as "MAGICAL BRANCH PLACEMENT." Keep the questions bolded as well. Thanks.
THE MAGICAL BRANCH PLACEMENT APPLICATION
For this application, choose only ONE if the question is asking something such as, "which of the following."
01. What is your name?
02. You walk into the bathroom and you see a troll. What is your first instinct?
03. Are you the type of person who thinks well on their feet? Or do you like plans spread out on a table that you can look over before moving on?
04. Which O.W.L. do you think you would master?
05. Who in all of the Wizarding World do you admire the most?
06. Are you the type of person who would use disguises or hide to get past enemies, or would you trick your enemies with some kind of trap, or confront them?
07. Are you one to memorize formulas for every single type of math problem, or would you rather memorize one equation where you could apply it to everything even if it comes to a point where it could be difficult?
08. If you could choose one of the following chores, which would you do?: cooking dinner, walking the dog or cleaning out the cat's litter box, moving around furniture for a cleaner look, spraying for bugs, or wiping down counters and cleaning glass.
09. What is your favorite subject in "muggle" school?
10. Which extracurricular activity would you prefer?: baseball/football/kickball/dodgeball, painting, jump rope/wallball/swimming, playing outside with your pet, hide and go seek.
There isn't really much to say about the interview. I must press the fact that your e-mail address is needed in the first application. Otherwise, there would be no way to contact you to conduct the interview. The interview can just be regarded as a few questions regarding your views on Harry Potter, etc. Do not be alarmed. The e-mails will be sent under the e-mail address "firstname.lastname@example.org". This is the group leader's (Charlie) e-mail address.
GRYFFINDOR gryffindor_da [ point count: - 67 ]
bells_ringout [ Sorting Application ] [ Transfiguration ] [ DX ]
puco [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ] [ DX ] [ Head of House ]
katie_80 [ Sorting Application ] [ Charms ] [ DX ]
ldol [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ] [ DX ]
pottergrl66 [ Sorting Application ] [ Potions ] [ DX ]
imapiomp [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ]
firebird21 [ Sorting Application ] [ Potions ]
horcru_x [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ]
jessmah [ Sorting Application ]
HUFFLEPUFF hufflepuff_da [ point count: - 35 ]
erisate [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ] [ DX ] HIATUS until ??/??/??
aries11 [ Sorting Application ] [ Transfiguration ] [ DX ] HIATUS until 09/30/06
azabeth99 [ Sorting Application ] [ Potions ] [ DX ] [ Head of House ]
RAVENCLAW ravenclaw_da [ point count: 12 ]
moonshineray [ Sorting Application ] [ Potions ] [ DX ]
xtangledechox [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ] [ DX ] [ Head of Branch ]
davidandxander [ Sorting Application ] [ Potions ] [ DX ] [ Head of House ]
fluxxie [ Sorting Application ] [ Charms ] [ DX ]
pulanglaso [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ]
cetacea [ Sorting Application ] [ Care of Magical Creatures ]
darsynia [ Sorting Application ] [ Transfiguration ]
maiiau [ Sorting Application ] [ Care of Magical Creatures
SLYTHERIN slytherin_da [ point count: - 6 ]
_suenos_ [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ] [ Head of House ]
dclxvi_demon [ Sorting Application ] [ Defense Against the Dark Arts ]
POINT SESSION #1: Gryffindor: 1,034 | Hufflepuff: 1,149 | Ravenclaw: 2,358 | Slytherin: 1,243
POINT SESSION #2: ---
Sorting Ceremony #01
Sorting Ceremony #02
Sorting Ceremony #03
Sorting Ceremony #04
Sorting Ceremony #05
Sorting Ceremony #06
Sorting Ceremony #07
Sorting Ceremony #08
Sorting Ceremony #09
Sorting Ceremony #10
Sorting Ceremony #11
MAGICAL BRANCH PLACEMENTS
Many people become confused with what characteristics go with what houses. People cannot usually distinguish. So here is a tentative criteria.
* * * To be sure that you read the characteristics, please post the word "incantatum" in the subject line of your Sorting Hat Application. * * *
bold, brave, nerve, loyal (this is a big one that people didn't understand - Hufflepuff too exemplifies loyalty like Gryffindor, but you have to examine the application as a whole - does the person relate more to Gryffindor or Hufflepuff? Using the other traits, you can determine this. WHY do they show loyalty?, etc.), brash, mischievious at times, determined, friendly, proud, courageous, passionate, social, stubborn, rely on justice/fairness, base decisions on emotions without thinking them through, competitive, independent
kind, caring, loyal (again, a big one people ussually don't get [refer to Gryffindor]), fair, hard-working, rely on justice/fairness (more so than Gryffindor - so if applications show a lot of this, it's a Hufflepuff trait), optimistic, patient, stubborn, do not like hurting anyone, friendly
value learning, mature, intelligent, curious, talented, clever, independent
(first - not all Slytherins are "evil") sly, ambitious, mischievious, cunning, determined, often selfish, often cold, calculating, elitist, boastful, defend themselves, power-hungry, competitive, they are proud
When looking at applications, you should not calculate it question by question and have some kind of point system. Look at the application as a whole. What kind of character does this person possess? You can't go by concrete adjectives. What is the vibe you get from this person? Think about this person and what house they are truly for.
D.A. TOURNAMENT : (every year) June 1 - June 30 of year 2007.
Awarding of the House Cup : May 1st of year 2007.
Awarding of Winners for Tournament : July 1st of year 2007.
O.W.L. : (every six months) No date set.
N.E.W.T. : (every six months) No date set.
davidandxander : 2006 Tournament Champion
1. How can I get points for my House?
Ways you could get points are growing, but for now, you can get points from the following:
- Voting on applications (sorting, magical placement).
- Referring people.
- Competitions (inter-house and inter-community).
- Discussions (about the books, movies, etc. - ONLY HARRY POTTER)
- Examinations (O.W.L. & N.E.W.T.)
2. How many points do I get for each of the above?
- Voting - Each vote can get your House five (5) points; when you vote for every application during a period between one ceremony and another (and receive five  points for that vote [maximum amount of points]), you get an additional ten (10) points.
- Referring people - Each referral and successful applicant is fifteen (15) points toward your House.
- Competitions - It depends on the conditions and the competition. It always varies. However, the major Army Tournament that occurs once a year can sum up to about five-hundred (500) points.
- Discussions - Five (5) points for every starter; three (3) points for every participant.
- Exams - The O.W.L. can sum up to a possible one-hundred (100) points and the N.E.W.T. can sum up to a possible two-hundred (200) points.
3. What is the Division Statuette of Excellence Award?
The Division Statuette of Excellence (or the D.S.E. Award) is presented to a Magical Division/Unit for their accomplishments. More on this soon.
4. How can points be deducted?
If you do not vote at least once in every Sorting Ceremony or Magical Branch Placement, there will be a three-point deduction. If you are on "hiatus" however, you are dismissed from this three-point deducation. However, I HIGHLY discourage hiatuses.